Friday, April 6, 2018

A Letter to Primary Parents

I just emailed this letter to my ward's wonderful Primary parents. I love General Conference and am so excited to have a discussion with the Primary children about what they learned, and what spoke to them! I am hoping to finish a project for the children in time for Sunday but it was a bit of a grand project to only have a week to complete so we'll see if I get it done in time. I might have to adapt for Sunday and then finish it over the following week. Or have the children help assemble their own gift :) 

Dear Primary Parents,

We will be reviewing some of the conference talks with the children during Sharing Time this Sunday. 

As I have been preparing this lesson, I have enjoyed many delightful conversations about General Conference, the things we learned, and the comments that specifically spoke to my friends, family, and me.

I did not want to make any assignments to any families regarding this lesson for Sunday because it is Spring Break week for most of you. However, if you are back in town, and your child was particularly impressed by a General Conference talk and would like to share their thoughts during Sharing Time (not opening exercises but the actual lesson time) please let me know by Saturday night. I will call on children who raise their hands regardless, but if a child wants to prepare in advance a thought from Conference, I welcome that opportunity and will set aside some time for them to come to the front of the room. They can bring a picture or object to share along with whatever General Conference talk was impressed upon their minds.

In the meantime, for you wonderful parents and grandparents, I also want to place special emphasis on the talk by Devin G. Durrant, called, "Teaching in the Home - a Joyful and Sacred Responsibility." This is a wonderful talk. I could see that Elder Durrant is the man he has become in large part because of teaching in the home. 

He says, "Years ago, my mother shared that her two best gospel conversations with my older brother, Matt, were once while she was folding laundry and another time while driving him to the dentist. One of the many things I admired about my mother was her readiness to teach her children."

Handbook 2: Administering the Church, says, "Parents have the first responsibility for the spiritual and physical welfare of their children (see DC 68:25-28). The bishopric, Primary leaders, and Primary teachers support but do not replace parents in this responsibility."

I know most of you already listened to Elder Durrant's talk but I want to invite you to review it again online. At the end of the talk, the written version shares references that were used. This includes some specific quotes that were not in actual talk but are a great supplement.

Lastly, I want to share the quote from President Dallin H. Oaks talk, "Small and Simple Things." He quotes President Howard W. Hunter, who taught “frequently it is the commonplace tasks … that have the greatest positive effect on the lives of others, as compared with the things that the world so often relates to greatness.”

Thank you so much for all that you do. 
I hope that you have had an amazing Spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment