Saturday, July 30, 2016

Serving in the Face of Adversity

I subscribe to LDS Daily Messages, a subscription service that sends a daily inspiring quote. Today's quote really hit upon some things I've been studying recently, as I prepared and gave a talk in stake conference on Saturday about overcoming adversity. 

Today's Quote

"Even in the midst of great personal sorrow and pain, our Exemplar reached out to bless others. … His was not a life focused on the things he did not have. It was a life of reaching out in service to others." 

-- Howard W. Hunter

President Howard W. Hunter with his counselors, 
President Gordon B. Hinckley and President Thomas S. Monson. 

During my talk about overcoming adversity, I mentioned that there are some questions that a section on "Adversity" on LDS.org suggests we ask ourselves when we experience adversity.

1. What am I to do?
2. What am I to learn from this experience?
3. What am I to change?
4. Whom am I to help?
5. How can I remember my many blessings in times of trial?

These questions are often difficult to answer in the face of adversity, especially trials that last for long periods of time, even a lifetime. So, I especially appreciate seeing how President Hunter, one who saw much personal sorrow and pain, dealt with his adversity. President Hunter grew up in a part member family, suffered job loss and the accompanying financial hardship, lost an infant son, cared for a failing wife for 13 years, and died at age 87 from prostate cancer that had spread to his bones.

At his funeral, President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Much has been said about his suffering. I believe that it went on longer and was more sharp and deep than any of us really knew. He developed a high tolerance for pain and did not complain about it. That he lived so long is a miracle in and of itself. His suffering has comforted and mitigated the pain of many others who suffer. They know that he understood the heaviness of their burdens. He reached out to these with a special kind of love."

I feel that the Savior comforted and mitigated President Hunter's pain the way President Hunter was able to comfort and mitigate the pain of others here on earth, and the way we can mitigate pain for those around us.

Service, especially service given in the spirit of charity, and service accepted in the spirit of humility, is an amazing beautiful thing. Service is the tie that binds friendships, adds perspective, uplifts the mood, and brings peace to the soul for both the provider of service and the recipient of service. 

I'm grateful for those friends and family who have been particularly great examples of service to me, for those that I have been able to serve, and for those who have served me. These experiences are many of the most memorable moments of my life and they have strengthened me and carried me through times of sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment